View Discover San Juan, Puerto Rico in a larger map

Observation of a Tourist in Old San Juan

I just have to comment on two tourists that we walked past the other day. Now I can't say much about where they are from, their education, their habits, or their beliefs. But one thing I can say, either they were "high" or just did not pay attention in 1st grade history class.

Below is a "transcript" of a conversation the two guys (18 years old) had about when Christopher Columbus discovered the New World and about how old the San Cristobol and El Morro forts are.
Kid 1: "Yo, when did Christopher Columbus Sail the ocean blue?"

Kid 2: "It was like, 1492."

Kid 1: "So that makes this place like 300 years old. Damn that's old."

Kid 2: "Yeah yo."
So I don't mean to judge or poke fun at his math. But I just hope deep down somewhere in his brain that he realizes that we live in 2009 and not 1792.
I just thought it was funny.

No comments: